Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SQL Slammer - lessons learned

From: David LaPorte <david_laporte () harvard edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:02:26 -0500

135-139/TCP/UDP to be open to the Internet?  How about port 445/UDP?

That should read 445/TCP

No, you wouldn't, because DNS servers talk on port 53, and they wouldn't
negotiate port 1434 because it's reserved for SQL.

By blocking 1434/UDP you run the risk  of block a small number of DNS queries.
Anything above 1023 is fair game.

David