Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MS should point windowsupdate.com to 127.0.0.1

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:24:34 -0500

--On Friday, August 15, 2003 08:25:08 AM -0700 David Hane <dlhane () sbcglobal net> wrote:

I just finally started reading this thread. I wish I had read it earlier
but  all the noise around this place has been driving me crazy.

Anyway, I have 2 such machines on my network. My solution has been to
yank the  ethernet cable . I know, minus points, but there are other ways
to get  information to/from the machine. In cases where it is only
feasible to use  the network I have trained the users to plug it in only
for the duration of  the network session. Believe it ro not this has been
working great ever since  my intern updated the machines and they were
down for 3 days. Now the users  know what it's like to not have them
working and they're very helpful.

OK. Time for the resident experts to offer workable solutions for this man's problem. (I have one, but I'll let others post first.)

Actually this brings up an interesting idea. Has anyone ever actually
"broke"  a machine on purpose as a way to show the users how good they
have it and how  much trouble it would be for them if they don't
cooperate with network  policies? Sure it's not ethical but it could be
quite effective?

Do that at UTD and you'll be looking for work.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member