Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls

From: Nathan Seven <scosol () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:16:43 -0700 (PDT)

Agreed- though there still are plenty of good uses for
app-level firewalls.
I use and recommend Kerio as well here at work.
It's very useful for things like blocking Realplayer's
phone-home functionality, etc etc :)

--- CHeeKY <cheekypeople () sec33 com> wrote:
why are you buying application layer firewalls? dont
as a security person
you learn anything?

get hold of a spare 386, and make a netbsd, ipcop,
smoothwall, linux based
firewall, alot of fun and a shit load better, I will
personally stick with
my checkpoint box, but please please start taking ya
firewalls of your own
machines, they deserve a place of their own, ON
THEIR OWN BOX, Tiny and the
rest have all been breached with deep packet
inspections through nemesis, at
the end of the day, its still Layer 7

=====
--