Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Blaster: will it spread without tftp?

From: "Matthew Murphy" <mattmurphy () kc rr com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:48:27 -0500

"Maarten" <subscriptions () hartsuijker com> writes:

I was wondering about the following scenario:

Lots of corporate network are protected by firewalls and users are forced
use a proxy server to connect to the internet. Because of the firewalling,
the worm will not be able to infect the clients directly from the
Internet.
Of course there are always servers that are building bridges between the
corporate network and the internet or laptop users that get infected by
using their dial-up/DSL @ home.

But if the worm enters the network through for instance an infected
laptop,
can it still spread around on the network? By analyzing the threads on
this
list and reading the info provided by anti-virus vendors I tend to draw
the
following conclusion.

- A worm can enter the network through an infected laptop/workstation or a
vulnerable server connected to the internet.
- these infected machines can exploit the vulnerability on other
vulnerable
systems on the Internal network causing them to reboot (and reboot, and
reboot)
- since these other vulnerable systems are using a proxy server to connect
to the internet and a firewall prevents all other connections, tftp
servers
on the Internet can not be accessed
- since tftp servers can not be accessed, msblaster.exe can not be
downloaded
- since msblaster.exe can not be downloaded these other systems will not
start to infect other systems...

Am I correct on these last two points? Or is this only true in case
someone
puts an infected laptop on the network (that is not able to connect to the
internet using tftp, while a webserver might be when it is located in a
misconfigured DMZ environment)?

Incorrect, for most setups.  Some firewalls at the router (NAT, for
instance) block packets into/out of the LAN.  This means that machines from
the internet cannot communicate with the LAN, and visa versa.  However,
machines on the LAN can communicate with *each other* (thus the ability to
connect to the proxy server).  So, if an infected system is introduced, it
*can* spread to the LAN, but infections of systems on the internet will
fail, as they cannot TFTP back to the firewalled box.

Of course this is only one worm variant
exploiting this vulnerability and we might have a totally different case
on
the next one, but I am still curious if I am on the right track
understanding the impact of the worm.

Yes, indeed.  Had the worm author been more skilled, we probably would have
seen a Code Red style worm, with the entire worm transmitted as shellcode in
the initial packet exchange over 135/tcp.  This would eliminate the efficacy
of blocking TFTP (69/udp) or 4444/tcp.

I also read something about SP0|1|2 on W2K not being vulnerable to
msblaster
(probably because of the "universal" offsets used). Is there anyone that
can
confirm this finding?

I can refute this finding.  Windows 2000 (all service packs) is being
actively exploited by this worm.  Compromised Windows 2000 boxes have been
probing fairly consistently.  eEye's official write-up specifically mentions
W2K Gold-SP2 as vulnerable.  By "Universal" offset, they weren't kidding --
one offset works on Windows 2000 Gold-SP4, all languages, and one offset
works on Windows XP Gold/SP1 32-bit, all languages.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html