Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Symantec has released an MSBLast removal tool.

From: Scott Fendley <scottf () uark edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:41:44 -0500

It looks like CA also has released a removal tool. The SANS Diary at http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11

Here is the excerpt from that URL:

Once you are infected, we highly recommend a complete rebuild of the site. As there have been a number of irc bots using the exploit for a few weeks now, it is possible that your system was already infected with one of the prior exploits. Do not connect an unpatched machine to a network.

If you can not do this and/or the computer resides on a protected or non-Internet connected network, then several Anti-Virus Venders have supplied tools to assist in removing the worm. However, these tools can not clean-up damage from other RPC DCOM malware such as the recent sdbot irc bots. This method of cleaning your system is _not_ recommended, but the URLs are presented below for completeness.

<http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html>http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html
http://www3.ca.com/Files/VirusInformationAndPrevention/ClnPoza.zip