Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Disclosure Debate

From: Jeremiah Cornelius <jeremiah () nur net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:13:18 -0700

On Thursday 07 August 2003 09:53 am, gridrun wrote:
Vulnerability Disclosure Debate
by gridrun on 8/07/03

<SNIP>

In my humble, personal opinion, this step seeks to maximize income of
several large security firms, as they would release any detailed
information only to paying groups of subscribers... An inherently
dangerous plan, and the argumentation behind it is severely flawed.

<SNIP>

Apparently, M$' fix doesnt really fix the problem to its full extent,
and in some cases, is believed to leave machines vulnerable to the
attack. Again, something which was to be discovered by END USERS loading
proof-of-concept exploits and trying them on their own systems. To me,
it makes no sense to blindly trust in a software vendor's patch, when it
has repeately been shown that software vendor's patches often do not
fully provide the anticipated security fixes.

Obviously, time has NOT yet come to say goodbye to full disclosure, and
doing so would leave end users at the fate of some sotware producers'
industry consortium to take care of OUR security - which they have
repeatedly shown to be incapable of.

<SNIP>

Hallelujah!  I believe you!  I believe!
We all in the Choir, back here on this bench.

Write this up in language that moderates invective, cite specific cases and
exploits - then publish away!  SF needs articles, SysAdmin needs articles...

--
Jeremiah Cornelius, CISSP, CCNA, MCSE
email: jcorneli () hotmail com

"What would be the use of immortality to a person who cannot use well a half
hour?"
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html