Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ADODB.Stream object

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:20:35 +1200

jelmer <jkuperus () planet nl> wrote:

<<snip interesting stuff>>
I dont think it in it self can not be concidered a security vulnerabilty as
it only works when the file containing the code is present on a users
harddisk, though html files are generally considered trusted and you can
probably trick some people into opening an html file by sending it to them
through msn messenger or whatever.
It can most likely be used to leverage other vulnerabilities, for instance
many programs download information to predictable locations from where you
might invoke it.

I do not see this as much of an issue/problem for widespread
exploitation of this.  Recall the (modest) "success" of the MindJail
virus, and the ongoing success of Mijail (which is by far the most
prevalent mass-mailing virus this month if you ignore the Sobig.F
freak).   Both of these viruses exploited a "My Computer" zone-only IE
vulnerability, depending on the typical handling of files from inside
archives being placed into %TEMP% despite their source archives clearly
being handled in the TIF.  Of course, MS (and thus IE) cannot manage
third-party programs handling of files passed out of of IE's security
zones...

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.