Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft urging users to buy Harware Firewalls

From: William Warren <hescominsoon () adelphia net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 17:27:05 -0400

interesting..i have done nessus scans myself against my own router and not found any thing to worry about in terms of incoming holes..outgoing of course is of course another matter..<G>

Florian Weimer wrote:

"Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com> writes:

I agree with Microsoft's recommendation for a hardware firewall on all
home PCs.

There is no thing such as a hardware firewall.

Typical SoHo routers have a much more defective TCP/IP stack than
Windows.  Most end users (who can't configure their Windows PCs
properly) won't be able to control such devices.  If a substantial
population uses such routers nevertheless, this only leads to more and
more protocols tunneled over HTTP. *sigh*

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

--
May God Bless you and everything you touch.

My "foundation" verse:
Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.