Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Administrivia: Testing Emergency Virus Filter..

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:39:21 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary E. Miller [mailto:gem () rellim com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 2:30 AM
To: Thor Larholm
Cc: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Administrivia: Testing
Emergency Virus Filter..

The wetware could make better decisions is his M$ Outlook
actually told him he was running an .exe file instead of
looking at a .gif...

Do you really believe this?  I don't.  One only has to look at the Sobig
outbreak yesterday to realize that some subset of the 100% of users out
there will execute an attachment *despite* being repeatedly warned about
the dangers.  My God, when all you have to do is put "See attached file"
in the body and people *still* execute the virus, it becomes self
evident that *no* amount of education is going to completely solve the
problem.

Now, give that there are those kinds of people out there, do you
*really* think Unix is the answer?  If these people are clueless on
Windows, just *imagine* the number of rooted Linux boxes you would have
if everyone switched to Unix.

Friends don't let friends use Windows.

Friends teach their friends how to *think* for themselves.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member