Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Administrivia: Vacation Messages - Update

From: John Cartwright <johnc () grok org uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:50:46 +0100

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 01:44:39AM +1300, Nick FitzGerald wrote:
Interesting...

Will the next "improvement" be a Bugtraq-like "wait some random
period between 48 and 96 hours before forwarding messages for
moderation"??

Of course not. Allow me to clarify: the vacation messages are
not intentionally sent to the list by a member, but rather generated
by badly-behaved or incorrectly configured mail clients.

The intention is merely to remove a source of extremely off-topic,
noise-inducing mail that clearly violates the list charter. We
have absolutely no intention of censoring or delaying legitimate
posts by members of the list or otherwise restricting the flow of
information - this is not a moderated list.

I apologise for contradicting myself in the previous mail - any
vacation messages that do find their way onto the list would not
have their follow-ups removed, because the software would never
have flagged them in the first place. If, however, the filter is
successful in removing these messages, then there can be no further
restriction of information as there won't be any vacation messages
to reply to in the first place ...

Cheers
- John
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.