Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: [ISN] DARPA pulls OpenBSD funding

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:47:22 -0700

Jason Coombs wrote:
"In the U.S., today, free speech is just a myth," de Raadt said.

This is an important issue because so many people get it completely wrong, de
Raadt included.

Free speech means the government cannot put you in jail for the things you say
or believe.

I disagree. I have no way to know what the current legal definition of free speech is, or to what point the first ammendment has currently been eroded. It says something to the effect of "Congress shall make no law" ... "abridging the freedom of speech..."

I was taught that what that means is that my government doesn't get to limit what I say about my government.

It does not mean the government is required to continue to pay you to do work
or fund your projects regardless of the things that you say or believe.

Oh, I think it should. Again, I can't say from a legal standpoint that it *does* mean they have to, but it should. Why should the government be allowed to dictate someone's political speech with grants? I'm pretty sure the first ammendment was designed to prevent exactly this sort of thing.

I suppose it's a little different if it's a private company. For example, Microsoft could withdraw support for a book that they felt was criticising them too much. It's probably not fair, but it's legal.

It does not mean the government cannot create hardship for you,

I think it does. (Though withdrawing non-entitled funds does not neccessarily constitute "creating hardship".) You think the government should be allowed to harrass people that say things it doesn't like at will?

Further, the U.S. constitution does not apply to foreign nationals and it has
no direct impact on business dealings except indirectly as it relates to the
legislative process whereby State and Federal laws are enacted and enforced
that seek to regulate business dealings consistent with constitutional law.

Theo may not have protection because he's not a US citizen. However, the actual funding was pulled from a US university, if I'm understanding correctly. So... funding was pulled from a US University because someone has an anti-war political opinion (that's still speculation, but it IS the principle under discussion.)

So the government *should* be able to pull (discretionary) funding at random from any group, if someone in power doesn't like the political opinion of anyone associated with that group?

Nice.

You don't think that this might have a slight chilling affect on groups that don't match well with the current party in power? You don't think that might give a slight advantage to groups that are associated with the current party in power?

We must bear in mind that free speech exists within a context of freedom; we
cannot impose behavioral restrictions or affirmative obligations on government
agencies or private parties that remove the freedom of those parties to
exercise sound subjective judgment. The day that we impose government controls
for allowable consequences against you for your choice to exercise your
freedom of speech is the day we kill freedom in our effort to protect speech.

How about instead... for a case like this, we allow the funding decisions to be made on technical merit, and allow all parties involved to hold whatever political opinion they like? Perhaps stop it just short of allowing the government to fund groups that are opening working towards violent overthrow or something?

By my thinking free speech means protecting speech you *don't* like.

                                                BB

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html