Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE : MCAFEE E-MAIL SCAN ALERT!~[FULL-DISCLOSURE] FWD: INTERNET S

From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles () skynet be>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:48:53 +0200

At 2:06 PM +1300 2003/04/09, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

 What he, and several others of us, said makes you stupid is that you
 _forwarded the whole message when you suspected the attachment was a
 virus or something similar_.

For the moment, let's assume that this was a result from a new virus, Trojan Horse, or hoax that had not previously been encountered.

Now, this list is called "full-disclosure". How are we to intelligently discuss some subject, if we don't have a complete copy of the thing that it is that we are supposed to be discussing?

 Your inability to accept that that was extremely stupid is seen as
 quite reasonably reinforcing that belief.

I had thought that this was the list where all the real security experts went, after BugTraq started taking a more intrusive editorial stance.

I had thought that we'd have people on this list that have sufficiently armored themselves against attack that we wouldn't have things like "virus detected" warnings being posted via automated programs.

I had thought that we could have a reasonable discussion, and that if there was something I had missed, people would provide me with a pointer to the appropriate information source, without the infantile need to resort to name-calling.

A number of people were, indeed, kind enough to provide links to the virus description web pages (ones that I had searched for but obviously missed), and I greatly appreciate the speed of their response.

Are you, and others, now going to make me regret that this is the place where I thought that a free and open discussion was actually possible?

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles () skynet be>

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html