Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: C initialization of static objects (was: ALERT ALERT ALERT! google under attack ALERT ALERT ALERT!)

From: dotho () mordikyn dynu com (Dotho)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 18:45:24 -0500 (EST)

tired, well ;-) I don't think that SSH, Apache or Sendmail should be
written in C, they do not benefit from any particular language

The problem (as you went on to get into) is quite simply that there are no
othe choices.  For a language to take the place of C it would have to be
fast, widely known or decently easy to learn, have lots of industry
support, be cross arch/platform and "fix" the common mistakes that people
get into with C. <asbestos_gloves_on>  I know of no language  that
comes close to meeting those requirements,with the
possible exception of Ada, and I doubt most people hate themeselves enough
to use Ada.  </asbestos_gloves_on>

The alternative I would suggest is to "fix" C.

--
Dotho