Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: remote kernel exploits?

From: nick () virus-l demon co uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 10:42:08 +1200

Personally I could really care less about "0-day exploits". There are a
thousand ways to penetrate a machine that are more effective then
relying on finding that one obscure piece of code. Why doesn't anyone
ever discuss interception, people seem to bent on the latest
vulnerability.  Then again what do I know. Maybe it IS all about
"0-day".

Technologists, not surprisingly, tend to focus on problems that can
be fixed by tweaking the technology.  Social engineering and many of
the useful/successful interception methods of "attack" are not
particularly solvable by technologists (the ethics of human NDA
research tend to "get in the way" here...   8-) ).

As the people on this list are in some sense mainly technologists,
the bias you point out in the concerns discussed here is quite
understandable.  You are, of course, right that there are many
low-tech/no-tech attack methodologies but the people on lists such as
this are not the people who will "fix" them, so they're not likely to
get as much air-time here.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald