Full Disclosure mailing list archives

zen-parse () gmx de is not zen-parse () gmx net

From: ben () algroup co uk (Ben Laurie)
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 09:56:06 +0100

Florian Weimer wrote:
zen-parse <zen-parse () gmx net> writes:

With regards to dealing with iDefense: It's an easier way for me to make
sure something is disclosed in an appropriate manner than me finding and
contacting all the people who need to be myself. And it gives me some
money, which, believe it or not, is useful to have occasionally.

IMHO, the iDefense approach is highly questionable.  But I won't argue
with you in particular about it.

However, it's highly surprising that the Apache developers call the
iDefense approach "reasonable disclosure".  Is it reasonable to
disclose critical information on new security vulnerabilities to
potential but paying blackhats *on* *the* *same* *day* *the* *vendors*
*are* *notified*?

Umm. Nope. Guess there is a difference between iDefense and CERT after
all, then.

Cheers,

Ben.