Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MS02-065 vulnerability

From: Georgi Guninski <guninski () guninski com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:19:36 +0200

There is a public demo (without the m$ dll) since least 6 May 2002
http://www.guninski.com/signedactivex2.html
which shows introducing old buginess.

How irresponsible of micro$oft to not warn their luser base back then about the real solution.

Anyway, lusers may think twice when marketoids claim Paladium and its signatures are good things, lol.

Georgi Guninski
http://www.guninski.com

Paul Szabo wrote:

Microsoft security bulletin
  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms02-065.asp
contains the caveat "a patched system could be made vulnerable again [by]
visit a web site or open an HTML mail". We have a execute-any-code
vulnerability, exploitable by a Web page or email; the patch can be undone
by a Web page or email. Just as exploitable after the patch.

Is this what Microsoft calls "responsible disclosure"?

Cheers,

Paul Szabo - psz () maths usyd edu au  http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics  University of Sydney   2006  Australia

PS: The above applies to IE only; I know that the patch is needed also for
IIS and maybe others. Do not let details get in the way of a good story.
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html