Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Counseling not to use Windows (was Re: Anonymous surfing my ass\!)

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (hellNbak)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:44:35 -0400 (EDT)

I think I just saw a pig fly, hell freeze over etc...

I actually agree with Paul Schmehl on something other than Russ Cooper is
a sexy beast (not).

Mindless "dont use windows reccomendations" are just that, mindless.  If
you poorly manage the security of Windows networks what makes you think
that you will manage the security of *nix networks any better?

I do Pen-Tests for a living -- there are just as many ways to own a *nix
box as there are a windows box.

Do you expect that the mindless user base is going to be able to figure
out Linux (even with X) when they can barely run their MS based machines?

So many of my clients would fire you on the spot for reccomending that
they just stop running MS products.  If you truly are a security
professional -- you would know better.

NOTE:   I am not saying that MS products are superior in any way - for
those that know what they are doing - yeah run your favourite *nix.