Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Announcing new security mailing list

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (Matthew S. Hallacy)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:00:54 -0500

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 09:04:21AM -0700, Blue Boar wrote:
There is no Bugtraq "scheme".  The Bugtraq moderator does not hold any
posts.  The poster gets to decide when his informatino is released.  The
people who post to Bugtraq as just as able to blindside a vendor as on any
other mailing list.

The closest thing to what you describe that is offered by SecurityFocus is
the vulnhelp service.  This is a way for someone who finds a bug to
voluntarily dump the hassle of dealing with notifying the vendor and
waiting onto the SecurityFOcus staff.  Someone who uses vulnhelp still
wants to give the vendor advanced notice, they just don't want to do it
themselves.  If they don't want the vendor to have any warning, they just
post to Bugtraq.

                                              BB

I disagree, I think my DOCSIS vulnerability posting is a good example of
something that should have gone out immediately, but was /never/ posted.
( I ended up taking it to another list)

It was valid, the vendors knew, but it was withheld because you deemed it
'malicious'.