Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Take the trash-talker challenge!

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (Nexus)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:01:07 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: <aliver () xexil com>
To: "Full Disclosure" <full-disclosure () lists netsys com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 12:35 PM
Subject: [Full-disclosure] Take the trash-talker challenge!

posted xxt.c on this list a few days back. Attached is a file which I've
encrypted using my utility. If my detractors would like to prove what a
silly ass I am then they should feel free to reverse the encrypted message

So this is a challenge not of your [implementation of] code, but the XTEA
algorithm last modified (AFAIAA) in October 1998 in response to an attack
against Block TEA though both XTEA and straight TEA where not affected ?
This challenge would also be against the MD5 hash as well, which like those
mentioned above have been beat up on by notable crypto types for a little
while ?

challenge anyone to write a working exploit which would render a root
shell when xxt is SUID root. If you succeed I will:

I don't understand the validity of this as your application has no
requirement to be SUID root at all.

If you don't, then I'll consider you full of shit and you can go on
posting garbage like what I've already seen, but your credibility will be
even lower than it already is (if that is possible).

Ah well, since I can't really be arsed to throw a brute forcer at the
[still] extant open source crypto algorithms in your application and in no
way am I a Cryptanalyst, I guess that's me told... ;-)
I'm far too busy playing Uplink to learn what it is to be a real hacker...
Well, actually I am working on a Cygwin version of xxt but it's barfing
during ld; but I'll let you know :)

Cheers.