Full Disclosure mailing list archives

(no subject)

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (M L Lynch [ SotG ])
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:41:46 +1000

"incorrect.  vendors are just human.  do produce code that perfect you'd end
up paying a whole lot more.  my method works better.  dont approach the
whitehat community with your bug.  go to the software developers directly.
and no one else.  that is, assuming you want to tell anyone at all... which
i dont personally advocate but we have to be realistic here... some ppl
wont let go of ethics, and i understand that.  you're probably a good
example."

I don't usually post to mailing lists, but I just had to comment on the
above remark ^

If you ever find a major security bug in a major piece of software, such as
M$ software, approaching the vendor directly does not work. Quite often they
will just add it to the end of the list of complaints, and might get around
to it in some future patch... if they feel like it... and if they think the
security bug you found posses great risk, they still won't fix it till they
feel like doing it.. instead, they now know who you are... and they take
subtle yet effective precautions to make sure you don't tell anyone about
it. I know.

Atleast if proof of concept is out there, and the risk is publicly known,
they have some motivation to fix it, and the users of the product can take
precautions to get around the bug until it is fixed.

Anyway, my thoughts.

Cheers