Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: it's all about timing

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (Adam Megacz)
Date: 31 Jul 2002 23:32:19 -0700

Florin Andrei <florin () sgi com> writes:
V is right, because not being warned in advance, their customers are
left to the mercy of script kiddies.

The resasonable conclusion here is that V should be suing the script
kiddies, not H.

If H is going to publish the exploit without early warning, i'll say
V has all the rights in the world to sue the crap out of H, and put
him(her) in jail for one thousand years, and i'll applaud that.

Outlawing the distribution of knowledge is a slippery slope.  I don't
want to go back to the bad old days when "terorrists might use it to
coordinate attacks" was a valid excuse for not letting me use/export
pgp and ssh.

Premature disclosure is bad in the same way that cheating on one's
spouse is bad -- it's undoubtedly a horrible, evil thing to do, but
it's not something that the government should be in the business of
locking people up for.

  - a

--
Sick of HTML user interfaces?