IDS mailing list archives

Re: Re: PCI DSS 11.1 - ".. deploying a wireless IDS/IPS..". Kismet+Snort?

From: brian_klumpp () hotmail com
Date: 29 Oct 2009 17:40:27 -0000

I realize this thread is a little old, but I did want to make a comment in regards to this.  As a QSA, *wired* side
scanning alone would be insufficient to meet the intent of the PCI DSS 11.1 requirement.  There is this quote from PCI
Council:

"Relying on wired side scanning tools (e.g. tools that scan suspicious hardware MAC addresses on switches) may identify
some unauthorized wireless devices; however, they tend to have high false positive/negative detection rates. Wired
network scanning tools that scan for wireless devices often miss cleverly hidden and disguised rogue wireless devices
or devices that are connected to isolated network segments. Wired scanning also fails to detect many instances of rogue
wireless clients. A rogue wireless client is any device that has a wireless interface that is not intended to be
present in the environment."

Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL.
A guide to understanding SSL certificates, how they operate and their application. By making use of an SSL certificate
on your web server, you can securely collect sensitive information online, and increase business by giving your
customers confidence that their transactions are safe.
http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;5001;25;1371;0;1;946;9a80e04e1a17f194