IDS mailing list archives

Re: x-forwarded-for an IDS capability

From: bartlettNSF <bartlettNSF () comcast net>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 22:40:31 -0700

James wrote:
2009/5/7 Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>:
On 04/30/2009 10:04 AM, Hellman, Matthew wrote:
I believe that the original poster is trying to deal with the problem of not having the true source IP address for a
given IDS alarm specifically because of a forwarding proxy or NAT device on his own network.

As I was the original chap back in 2004 who asked this question, I'd
like to have my 2c worth too :-)

Indeed the issue was that our (snort) IDS was picking up
spyware-infected PCs phoning home through our proxies - and so the IDS
could only tell you the src IP was the proxy - no use at all in itself.

That is the same problem I have.

FYI our proxies lie inside our network - not on the edge (where the IDS
are).

Same again

Well now it's 2009 and we found a different way around it. We installed
snort onto all our proxies :-) Now snort can see the clients.

As far as the X-Forwarded-For comments go - I think that track is a very
bad idea. Everyone running proxies should be taking the opportunity to

Ok maybe I should help out with a flow diagram so you can understand
where I am coming from

user_pc
-> transparent proxy (x-f-f stamped here)
-> internet_gateway_proxy (headers stripped)
-> internet

The IDS is capturing on the internal leg of the internet_gateway_proxy
hence all http/https IDS alerts have a source ip of the transparent
proxy which means correlation is virtually impossible unless the IDS
can extract the x-f-f and substitute this for the source ip in the
alerts.

Hello list,
In my opinion would it not be easier to simply place and IDS (simple pc blackbox) on each segment and have it send the logs to a parent IDS system on a secured segment of the network? I'm considering this at my current place of employment to simply allow me to see our VPN sites as well. Although I understand that the newest version of Snort IDS, ver.3.8.4, is different in its installation method I would still consider using it. I plan on testing it soon here at home in a virtual state. I do realize using multiple IDS sensors would add cost, bandwidth, and a POF to the network.Although the point of failure (POF) would not be considered an essential asset or classified as a critical system. Being that it is not a critical system it's hard for me to provide ROI on the added sensors that would allow coverage of any addition network segments they need to be installed on.

I want to make one thing clear. I, nor my employer, use any IDS system to view our employee traffic. We use it to provide a security service to them by giving us the ability to see an attack, what ever the traffic may be classified as, from an external source. This statement must be made on my behalf to ensure that our department keeps within our standing guidelines and policies. (legal crap)

--
Stephen Bartlett, B.S.
INFOSEC, CSSM, CSA, ISSO, CISO, CSC, CRA Assistant Systems Administrator