IDS mailing list archives

Re: NSS Certification - Credible?

From: Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 21:44:43 -0700

So, I have a lot to say about your message, but I think I'd like to concentrate on a single point which borders on the personally offensive (but I have a very thick skin):

Furthermore, I have come to the conclusion that magazine tests are by
and large worthless.  They are all to often influenced by the
advertising in the magazine. I know people say that isn't true. But, I
just don't believe it.

I've been in this business of doing tests for 26 years now, and I can guarantee you that advertising does not influence magazine tests. I have never ... and I mean, NEVER ... had any inkling that the advertising side of the magazine had any input into my testing. They don't even know when we're testing and what we're testing--which is why you'll sometimes see a big full-page ad next to a test saying a product is not so good. This happens because there is truly a wall between the two.

And I've written for dozens of magazines over this time.

Really.  There is no influence.

Now... there are MANY other things which are completely corrupt and stupid. Look at "Best of..." award ceremonies at trade shows; look at 'Reader's Choice' awards; look at conference speaking slots--all that stuff is HEAVILY influenced by ad sales. But actual copy, words on paper, is not.

The sales team doesn't tell the test/reviews team what to test. They don't tell us who to test. And they don't tell us who is or is not buying ads. Frankly, I don't even know who the ad sales people are and they wouldn't know me if they met me.

It's certainly possible that not every magazine is reputable in this way. But if you talk about the magazines from folks like IDG and CMP (Computer World, Network World, Info World, eWeek, InfoWeek, Network Computing), there is no influence.

I can tell you a story about interference which will show you how rare this is. I was hired to do a story --- not a test, but a story --- on network security for a magazine published by CDW. And there was a single rule which was "please do not mention products we don't sell." So I said "well, is it OK if I mention no products at all?" And the answer was 'no problem.' They didn't say I had to push their products; just avoid products they didn't even sell. Which, given that they sell almost everything, is not much of a restriction.

So even what you would expect to be the most biased of magazines (one step up from things like Packet) had a very, very light touch on the editorial side. And this is the first time this has happened in over two decades of writing.

Believe it. Tests on IPS in reputable magazines are not influenced by advertisers.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494