IDS mailing list archives

Re: An insider attack scenario

From: Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:03:40 -0400

pamaclark () yahoo com wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to IDS/IPS...

Suppose a company has a large network, which is divided into several sub-network segments. Due to finance or staffs
restrictions, the company could only use a limited number of sensors, hence leave some internal sub-networks
unmonitored. I guess this is quite common in real world right?

So, if I were an inside attacker, I may find out sensor locations (either physical of logical locations) by
fingerprinting the sensors as discussed in some previous threads or whatever tricks. Means I will know which
sub-networks are monitored and others are not, right? So that I can launch attacks to those unmonitored network
segments without being detected.

Does this sound plausible? And what current IDS/IPS technologies can be used to against this?

Thanks

From - Wed
You may be able to fingerprint what subnet is not being monitored, however, is the subnet that YOU are on being monitored? In that case you are caught either way.

As for detection of this kind of thing, there are several solutions for that:
<my own company>
RNA -- Real Time Network Awareness
</my own company>

Anomaly detection software and passive awareness software. There are a couple out there.

--
joel esler | Sourcefire