IDS mailing list archives

Re: malware scanning

From: "Stuart Staniford" <sstaniford () FireEye com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:35:37 -0800

Our (FireEye's) appliance can do this.

It's primary purpose is to detect bot traffic in network traffic (passively monitored), and one of it's major ways of doing this is to detect the malicious website infection as it happens (we scan using statistical anomaly detection techniques to look for potentially malicious entities in HTTP traffic - eg obfuscated Javascript -- and then confirm them by running them inside a browser in an instrumented virtual machine). By this means, we can detect most malicious websites with almost no false positives.

The appliance also has a mode where you can point it at a list of potentially malicious URLs and it will directly run the VM analysis on those URL and tell you whether it's malicious or not. (It's not oriented to crawling - it will check a single requested URL at a time and whatever is automatically included from that by the browser).

Stuart Staniford,
Chief Scientist, FireEye