IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS vs Application Proxy Firewal

From: Omar Herrera <oherrera () prodigy net mx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:33:53 -0600

Hi Stefano.

Stefano Zanero escribió:
Omar Herrera wrote:

Anomaly detection in the end is still a form of blacklisting.

No, actually, it isn't. It's the contrary of it, by definition.

Even if
you use general patterns instead of specific ones, you are still doing a
match against activity that is known to be bad

Then it is misuse detection, and not anomaly detection. You may wish to
refer to Bace's work on intrusion detection for quickly getting to speed
with modern research on the area.

Well formally yes, you are right, but you say you are whitelisting
/blacklisting from the point of view of whom, the vendor of the security
control or the user? In practice no vendor can have a complete view of
what is allowed and what is not, they just can't see all the scenarios.
The tools can learn, but only on what they see and measure. When they
see something they have never seen before how will they call it  good or
bad? Let us say for example that using FTP is bad for a company and good
for another, for any reason you want. You run your AD tool but the
activity is not present for whatever learning time frame you want. Then
you see the activity shows up in both cases, what will the tool say and
how will act on it? The only way it won't be wrong in any of the two
cases is to tell the user "something unusual is happening and let
him/her decide.

I don't see how a tool will be able to build a complete white list
(useful for users) in this way. But the end user might know (agreed, if
they put the time and resources). The whole idea of white listing is to
get a complete set of known good activities, so that you can safely ban
"everything else". You can't white list effectively without full context
information and you can't get automatically all context information of
that which the tool has not seen or measured before. You can learn after
of course but then you might have acted wrong on something that was
legitimate or didn't act on something that you should with a 0.5
probability.

So what are we going to call it just partial whitelisting? With this in
mind I don't blame you saying that white listing is no better than other
approaches. It isn't if you try to do it automatically.
introduce higher false postive rates as well. No research will make
anomaly detection a better alternative than white lists (from an
effectiveness point of view),

You mean, except for the fact that whitelisting, except in some very
specific setting, is not a viable approach to manage complex information
systems ?

Agreed, those scenarios exist, but you have also principles that move
you towards more secure architectures. The other way around it is leave
all the problems we have in the design of our procedures and
infrastructure and patch it by stacking controls on top of it. If people
want to have systems that handle all sort of applications and
comunications with no segmentations, then whitelisting won't help. Yet,
if people take the time and effort to make a risk assessment and
separate things (DB there, card processing system here, Web front
application over there, and not everything in the same place), then
white listing is doable. The thing is you don't white list on something
general you use specific context information of your business and so
avoid unnecessary effort.

Also you work out in layers, it is easier and it is the way companies
have been doing for decades (just that many have not realized that they
have been employing it already in some areas). For example, you take all
communications (source, destinations and protocols) first and make your
white list, and most do, but the control we use is usually a firewall or
ACLs within routers. Then you can look at applications running, you take
the list of all certified applications and block anything else from
getting installed (many hIPS are able to do this relatively well this
time). Then you can look functionality, but the control we use is user
privileges within applications and O.S. and many of us do it all the time.

The reason why white listing doesn't work is not because it is overly
complex but because it requires us to do things properly starting from
the way we do business and design our systems and applications. It does
take time and requires that we know our assets and business functions to
set permissions, if we don't know or care about it, well, maybe a
blacklists and anomaly detection might catch some of  the bad things and
is better than nothing :-).

everything else. Within http traffic you can't block all requests, but
businesses and individuals might know the characteristics of good inputs
and outputs and filter accordingly.

Businesses and individuals do not know anything of the kind. Otherwise,
well, they would be doing what you suggest :)

Anomaly detection is all about learning automatically "whitelists" of
normal activities.

I will jump your examples, as they are actually excellent examples of
why manually created whitelists are completely unusable in any modern
environment.

I agree on individuals, that's why grandma came into these examples and
there's probably not much we can do about it other than improving black
lists and anomaly detection in whatever ways we can. But on businesses I
disagree, specially with large businesses with many resources (small
businesses tend to behave more like individuals). If these big
organizations: banks, retailers, government agencies, medical
laboratories... don't know what they need to make business, they have a
much bigger problem than deciding whether they want to use one approach
or the other :-).

I've seen many of them taking the time to follow this path with great
success since the times of the mass propagation worms like Blaster, and
the same approach has proven effective against today's stealthier and
targeted attacks with custom malware (yes, people have been doing it for
years now). Just put a piece of unknown software traveling on the
network or on a harddisk, what will anomaly detection say? It is the
same problem, and it is not just ploymorphism. Fred Cohen demonstrated
formally that no software can automatically decide if another piece of
software previously unknown is malware or not.

Also, trying vendors to handle software white lists is more complex than
giving an organization the right tools to digitally certify just what
they use (this is what I meant with primitive whitelisting technology,
we are not there yet).
In practice you will get only information on what
is significantly (e.g. statistically) different from the point where you
took your measures.

No, this is not true. You evidently don't know most of the recent
research on the subject (which is what Damiano, and I incidentally, tend
to do for a living :) )

Bad things that happened at the time of measurement
might be legitimized, new good things might be marked as bad.

These are problems that have been widely studied. To claim there's no
way around them is false.

Well, I would like to be wrong :-). If you have something that can
automatically learn without false positives or negatives and produces a
complete white list (from the users perspective) or gives the same level
of security (with a formal proof) using another approach, then I would
really love to see it on the market soon. I'm sure these problems have
been studied for years, so bring the demos.

Security departments has no excuse to not white list these days in my
opinion

Except having an actual, real world network to run, you mean ?

White listing is a naive approach, which is perfect only in a very
limited setting of drones all doing the same things. In a modern network
of empowered users it won't hold for a second.

Personnally I think that security vendors claiming that they can solve
all  these problems without the user's knowledge and intervention is
more naive. Users in networks have the power that their companies gave
them, certainly not the user's fault, but if they hold more power than
needed, trying to fix this with a silver bullet security solution rather
than doing it properly (policies, procedures, separation of duties, and
only at the end the infrastructure to support it) won't do much good
anyway. Security solutions have a place, they are useful to reach a
goal, but they can't decide for ourselves.

Cheers,

Omar Herrera

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.