IDS mailing list archives

Re: Host Based IDS

From: "Security Group" <secgro () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:43:29 +0100

Hi,

First of all many thanks for your replies and excuse me for my late response.

Your requests for clarification are justified. I will describe the situation:

We have Windows servers (60+) with custom server applications (self
developed software) which are in the DMZ.

There is already a network based IDS present based on S-flow packets.

But since the DMZ is the first base on the way-in by any hacker we
want intrusion detection on the machines in the DMZ.

We now have a very simple IDS in place which monitors process starts.
This HIDS will report an alert if an abnormal process start will occur
 (i.e. a reverse shell will start cmd.exe in an abnormal fashion).
This is only one simple abnormality check on a host. We are wondering
if there are other host based IDS which check for abnormal process
start and much more (file integrity, event log, etc) .

Which HIDS will provide abnormality checking (process starts, event
log, file integrity, etc) on a host the best:
OSSEC
Open Source Tripwire
SAMHAIN
OSIRIS
AIDE
Third Brigade Deep Security
Symantec Critical System Protection
IBM Proventia
Enterasys Dragon IDS/IPS
McAfee Total Protection for Endpoint
CA Host-Based Intrusion Prevention System r8
GFiEventsManager
Cisco Security Agent

Btw are their HIDS that can detect all-in-memory exploits (without the
need of starting a process via the kernel)?

Thank you for your time and advice,
Timo Babel