IDS mailing list archives

RE: Using Snort to find creditcard data?

From: "Craig Chamberlain" <craig.chamberlain () Q1Labs com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:45:49 -0300

What I'm describing in this bit is actually a behavioral detection technique rather than the specification or regexp
based method (though the combination of the two is often preferable, where available) as the detection failure
scenarios data inspection are endless, as you point out. What I'm suggesting is that while methods and scenarios for
obfuscating or concealing data beyond detection or inspection are supernumerary, there are a few elements that can
usually be reliably detected using flow data, assuming the reporting devices themselves have not been compromised;

1. network transmission took place with between two IP sockets
2. some number of bytes and packets were transmitted, which can be measured
3. the destination address was or was not part of the organization which owns the source
4. the destination address is or is not within expectations (e.g. is it a foreign country or organization with which no
business relationship exists)
5. (possibly, if you have some packet content samples with the flow data) the application protocol appears to be a
known application or network protocol
6. this apparent application usage is or is not within expectations - and is or is not typical

With this information, behavioral detection can sometimes find data leaks in the form of anomalous network behavior
such as the appearance of a new application protocol e.g. a vpn, ssl or ssh connection - especially on a non standard
port - with a remote destination which is unexpected (while the encrypted data itself is beyond inspection, the
application protocol itself may be recognizable); or a direct SQL connection from a client desktop, where they normally
connect through a middleware application, or something else.

We use a technique we call anomaly detection in the QRadar tool to detect appearance of new behaviors for selected
high-value systems and networks. useful either as a corroboration to methods like regexp based inspection or as a
potential method of finding information leaks that evade these detection methods. Of course, there are scenarios where
new behaviors result from normal changes; none of these methods are perfect, but they are all useful. Combining them
through correlation can sometimes improve accuracy of detection even further. In my experience, the best method of
finding misuse patterns like data leaks is through sophisticated event correlation - either manual or programmatic -
though it needs to be done programmatically in order to scale.

Craig Chamberlain
Principal Security Consultant
craig () q1labs com | www.q1labs.com