IDS mailing list archives

Re: automatic signature generation

From: Hugo Francisco González Robledo <hugo.gonzalez () itslp edu mx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:18:37 -0500

There are some projects based on honeypots to try to generate
signatures for ids in automatic way.

Check it !

regards

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 12:54:31PM +0200, Sanjay R wrote:
Hi List:
There have been few studies to propose the automatic generation for
misuse based IDS, like snort (in fact, it is the hot area of research
among IDS researchers). Suddenly, it came into my mind, whether is it
feasible to generate (Good) signatures for all types of attack in an
automatic way (in a black-box environment, where we don't have the
source-code of the vulnerable application)? Perhaps, It is easy
(relatively) to automatically generate signature for flooding type of
attacks. The main cause of my doubt is the observation that it is not
feasible to generate attacks automatically. Usually, an attacker spend
hours to analyze the application and then write an exploit. We don't
have any tool that take, as an input,  the application to be
exploited, and gives us an working exploit (of course, Metasploit
helps us to create exploit). Therefore, the early thought that comes
into my mind is "creating an automated signature generation tool is as
difficult as creating an automated attack generation tool". I would
like to know your opinion on this.

-Sanjay

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to
http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.

--
Hugo Francisco González Robledo
Instituto Tecnológico de San Luis Potosí

Llave pública en http://www.honeynet.org.mx
Llave pública en http://ardilla.zapto.org

Preguntale a Google-Earth donde estoy :
http://ardilla.zapto.org/ubicaHugo.kml

Educación es lo que queda después de olvidar
lo que se ha aprendido en la escuela.
                Albert Einstein