IDS mailing list archives

RE: Threats to IDS/IPS deployments

From: "Andy Cuff" <lists () securitywizardry com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 12:50:59 +0100

Hi Leea,
Off the top of my head, a couple of other elements that we check on are:

1.      Inappropriate tuning - too much.  Where certain signatures are tuned
out that really shouldn't be, this could easily form an entire topic in it's
own right and is my pet hate. This could mean that a signature is disabled
entirely or the filtered addresses are too broad. My suggestion is for a
second set of eyes to validate the tuning within a defined period.

2.      Inappropriate tuning - too little.  Where the deployment hasn't been
tuned and the analysts cannot see the wood for the trees.

3.      Effective blocking.     Where IPS is deployed is blocking set
correctly i.e. not too strict so as to effect operations yet strict enough
to counter arising threats.

4.      Updatedness.  How up to date is the deployment and are the update
processes solid

5.      Sensor coverage.   Are there any gaps in coverage and does the
deployment complement a defence in depth solution

6.      Who and/or what is the weakest link

Good Luck
Andy Cuff
Computer Network Defence Ltd
www.SecurityWizardry.com