IDS mailing list archives

Re: Wired detection of rogue access points

From: Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon () googlemail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:02:24 +0000

I tried it out, and I understand what you are trying to do but my results where a fair way off, some were spot on, but a lot of others weren't. I know it's not an easy job to fingerprint in this way. Couldn't you leverage some Nmap work, since they have good and reliable fingerprints.

Also, there were so many wifi-suspect that I either would spend ages investigating everything or not at all (possibly the latter)

-h

Hari Sekhon

Chris Waters wrote:
Hi,

Every network device has some fingerprint in the way that it interacts
with the network. This includes things like the open ports, the
running, the broadcast protocols is uses (DHCP, UPnP, CDP, IAPP, etc),
its MAC address, etc.

This fingerprint information can be used to uniquely identify
virtually every type of network device, assuming of course that you
have a database of the fingerprints for all the devices that might
exist on the network.

This is exactly how RogueScanner (roguescanner.networkchemistry.net)
works. It probes devices to determine their fingerprints as well as
looking at the packets that they broadcast onto the network. By using
lots of techniques together it is possible to accurately find and
classify all sorts of devices, including wifi routers which may using
firewalling and MAC address cloning to hide themselves.

Regards,

Chris Waters
CTO, PhD
Network Chemistry, Inc