IDS mailing list archives

Re: Wired detection of rogue access points

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenablesecurity com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:35:10 -0400

Several answers ...

The Nessus scanner can identify a variety of Web/FTP/SNMP interfaces to
various wireless access points. There is a white paper on it under the
'Vulnerability Management' section on our web site at:
http://www.tenablesecurity.com/whitepapers/compliance.shtml

The Passive Vulnerability Scanner (PVS) can "sniff" traffic and look for
Web/FTP/SNMP interfaces to various wireless access points as well. The
PVS also generically finds proxies. There is a blog entry on this here:
http://blog.tenablesecurity.com/2006/10/proxyfirewall_d.html

Ron Gula, CTO
Tenable Network Security
http://www.tenablesecurity.com
http://blog.tenablesecurity.com

johnnywkm () gmail com wrote:
Hello there,

Can anyone point me to a wired LAN scanner/sniffer that detects wireless access points connected to the LAN?

Thanks,
JW

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.