IDS mailing list archives

Re: Re: how to avoid false positive in generic cross site scripting attack ids signature

From: "Abhishek Bhuyan" <abhuyan () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:37:07 +0530

How about UTF-7 XSS attack?
False positive will be there, you need to reduce it as much as
possible. But just checking for javascript: is not a good idea.
Keeping an eye on no. of occurrence of particular patterns might help.

On 6 Feb 2007 11:44:45 -0000, rathnach () gmail com <rathnach () gmail com> wrote:
1st is, whether executing javascript on clients browser context in http req. is permissible.

> [...]

 2nd as yahoo is one of the most visted sit, how can avoid cjances of false postive, and is there any way to harden
this signature.

Generic signatures are only good to identify unknown attacks,Provided you have good logging capability. but problem is
false positives.
My would suggest is to find some vulnerable file path + XXS pattern to be more effective.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.