IDS mailing list archives

Re: IPS and Trunking

From: Gary Halleen <ghalleen () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:46:20 -0800

I've seen several replies saying essentially the same thing:  "This is a
feature of the switch - not the IDS."

However, this is only partially true.

It is certainly a function of the switch to be able to copy traffic to a
destination port using something like SPAN, VACL Capture, or other similar
features.  Many switches support sending this captured traffic to an 802.1q
or ISL trunk port.  All currently shipping Cisco switches, to the best of my
knowledge, support this.

Most IDS products should be able to at least analyze traffic that arrives
via trunk ports.  All Cisco IDS/IPS products have supported this for as long
as I can remember.  Additionally, Cisco IDS/IPS sensors are able to track
the VLAN traffic arrives on through the trunk port, rather than simply
grouping the traffic all together.  The event action can be dependent on
which VLAN the malicious traffic was seen on.  In the alert that is
triggered, the VLAN from the trunk port is displayed.

I don't know what vendors support this capability, but it is certainly
supported by Cisco sensors.

If we talk about IPS instead of IDS, the feature remains for us.  You can
plug an interface on a Cisco IPS sensor into a trunk port, and the sensor
can treat each VLAN on the trunk separately.

Gary Halleen, CISSP, ISSAP
Cisco Systems, Inc.