IDS mailing list archives

Help for placing IDS sensors

From: star.gemini () gmail com
Date: 21 Apr 2007 05:23:37 -0000

Hi,

We are in the process of implementing a project involving a huge network comprising of thousands computers and users (1
computer :1.5 users). The network is spread across 600 locations. We wish to implement ADS on Win2003 servers.

In a switched environment, as we all know NIDSs have problems. There are around 40 links directly to HO. Each location
has its own LAN. Each location has sublocations with LANs who authenticate to those higher in hierarchy.

How do we implement IDS sensors 20 (gigabit + 10/100) in count, so that we can monitor all the traffic at lowest
possible level of network, with minimal number of sensors. How can we introduce sensors so that they function as
perfect as Inline

To give you and idea…

                                                                  ISP1     ISP2
                                                                     \   /
                                                                HO(Core ROUTER) +  DC
                                                                     /  \
                                                                   DC   DC

                                                                  /       \

     Router + LAN(A).      Router +LAN B----40
              /            \

  Router + LAN(A1)    Router + LanB1
          /                  \
                                                Router + LAN(AA1)    Router + LAN
      /                        \

   Subloc2                    Subloc3 |
Users                             Users, computers............

Digvijay

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.