IDS mailing list archives

Re: Prelude/OSSIM/OpenSIMS/OSSEC

From: "Angel Alonso Párrizas" <parrizas () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:29:09 +0200

Hello:
I have a similar topology developed with OSSIM like the one you are lookig for.

The UNIX machines (Solaris and Linux) are monitorized by two ways:
logs (auth.log, messages..) that are send to a syslog server in a
OSSIM server,  and Integrity, checked by OSIRIS, that are manage by a
OSIRIS manager also installed in the same OSSIM Server.
The windows Machines, Windows 2000 Servers and XP, send the logs to
the same syslog server (in OSSIM server machine) by a tool called
Snare. Snare is easy to manage. Yo can see the features of the tool in
http://www.intersectalliance.com/projects/Snare/
Although, in my case NAGIOS is not configured, OSSIM integrates the
tool in its framework, you only may configure it.

SIMS is  one of the main funcion os OSSIM, but the may problem is that
you will have to configure the parsers properly to catch those
importants events reported by the differentes Intergrity checkers
(OSIRIS and SNARE) or the logs send via Syslog. Also you will have to
create your own correlation rules according to your topology and your
needs.

With this topology: a central server running syslog, (OSIRIS that is
integrated with OSSIM, OSSIM with the correct configuration, and a
syslog server)  and all the montitorized system sendind the logs to
this server, all the events wille be catched (logins attempts, correct
logins, changes in filesystem..)
The main problem is that you will have to configure properly all the
parsers and the tools, but that is only a time cuestion.

Regards. Angel.