IDS mailing list archives

Real world experience with HIDS

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:44:36 -0600

I have some questions for real world users (not vendors) of HIDS products. If you are using HIDS products *and* you're happy with the results, please respond to the following quesitons.

1) Ease of install - can it be done through GPO?  SMS?  Login scripts?

2) Usefulness of the information generated - have you detected any exploits? How were you notified? Etc.,

3) Centralized management - is there any? If so, how easy is it to use? Configurable at the host level? Or group of hosts level?

4) Access to data - is it possible to restrict access to the data so that an administrator on the server would *not* be able to see the output of the HIDS?

5) Interference with the server - does it consume lots of memory or CPU? Is it proactive or passive?

6) Would you purchase again, if you had the option?

PLEASE NOTE: Any vendor on this list who emails me suggesting their product will be automatically dropped from consideration, so be forewarned. You're welcome to respond on the list, if you like, but don't email me or you'll be eliminated from consideration.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member