IDS mailing list archives

Re: Tuning false positives - SIM is not the answer

From: Brent Stackhouse <brent () solissecurity com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:24:47 -0600

Look at this new Cisco advisory:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/products_security_advisory09186a00805e3234.shtml

My favorite part:

"Exploitation and Public Announcements

The Cisco PSIRT is not aware of any public announcements or malicious use of the vulnerability described in this advisory."

Well, I sure didn't tell PSIRT since everyone in MARS support already knew about it. Interesting timing but at least they're addressing it.

Brent Stackhouse, GSEC/GCIH
VP of Security
Solis Security, Inc.
Austin, Texas
512-417-9772
www.solissecurity.com

Hellman, Matthew wrote:
Root login via SSH is disabled in /etc/sshd/sshd_config. The "expert process" is most likely some sort of su to root, but
I've seen the passwd file and there is another user account as well.  If my memory serves it had a normal bash shell too.

Bottom line is, I think the crap about "protecting IP" is just that.  The ISO can be downloaded right from Cisco and like
Brent said, I've got physical access and I think someone who really intended to violate the IP could.

What really bugs me is stuff like this:
http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCsc07680&cco_product=Cisco+Security+Monitoring,+Analysis+and+Response+System&fset=&swver=&keyw=&target=&train=

If you don't have access, this is Cisco's response to the fact that the Oracle default passwords have not been changed:
"Workaround:
none. As the mars appliance is hardened from root shell access, this should not be a major
security threat."

A classic example of a vendor just not getting it. So what else is isn't being properly patched/configured because it's a
"hardened appliance"? uhg.

To be fair to Cisco, they inherited this problem.  Still, I have to wonder if the real reason they haven't been willing
to open up access is because without iptables the box is a complete mess.