IDS mailing list archives

Re: Tuning false positives

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 21:54:43 +0530

On 28/12/05 11:37 +0530, Pukhraj Singh wrote:
I agree with you on this point. Most products are prone to false
positives in the production environment, when run in their default
mode.  This highlights the lack of good QA testing methodology for the
product. Most vendors rub their hands off after making signatures and

Aren't false positives often a result of organisational policy and
resulting network structure (or lack thereof)?

protocols parsers. One thing they don't realize that QA is an equally
important process because companies can't afford to drop (mission
critical) sessions due to a false positives. I am afraid there's

Which is why most of them can run in IDS mode, and only alert. Tuning is
a must.

A false positive due to a bad signature is a vendor QA failure.
A false positive due to the system not knowing what your network
policies are in the default state is user error.

What works on your network will not work on mine.

Devdas Bhagat

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.