IDS mailing list archives

Passive Network Taps - on the cheap

From: Packet Man <packetman () altsec info>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:31:46 -0600

I've finally finished a major upgrade to my work on
construction and use of passive network taps.

Granted, the best tap is a commercial tap.  But, a
home-built passive network tap can be used quite
successfully to monitor network traffic.

The original paper on construction, with minor
modifications:

http://www.altsec.info/passive-network-tap.html

The new paper on using the tap, with recent test
lab results:

http://www.altsec.info/pnt-sensor-data.html

Anyone who is interested, please feel free to
have a look.  For any comments, suggestions, or
corrections, please see the papers for contact
information.

Just my way of saying thanks for all the great
information I get in this list.  I hope my many
hours of testing and research benefits someone.

Mark

--
Excellence in InfoSec and Linux
http://www.altsec.info