IDS mailing list archives

Re: Less well-known commercial IDS

From: "arkon ra" <arkonr () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:53:09 +0200

I came across another opportunity with CheckPoint's
InterSpect (NGX version) as an IPS solution. I was wondering how much
experience does the forum have with this product, pros, cons, price etc'.
Also - how does it compare to other better known products in terms of
protection, performance, managability ?

Thanks in advance,

 Arkon.

Andrew Plato wrote:

I see a lot of discussion on this list to be about

 larger, more

established IDS/IPS solutions.  I'm just wondering

if anyone has

experience with smaller commercial IDS devices like

the Symantec 7100

series?  If so, what did you think?
What were you comparing it to?

I think there are a lot of lower-cost IPSs. Some are

good, some are

fair, many are lame. Symantec isn't one that comes

to mind. It actually

is pretty expensive. My personal favorite is

Fortinet. It's a UTM

(all-in-one) box. We sell A LOT of Fortinet and as a

whole, customers

have been very pleased with its performance. And its

IPS is based on

Snort, incidentally. Fortinet has the plus of having

firewall,

anti-virus, VPN, and lots of other goodies as well.

I have heard good things about SecureWorks. However,

they are a purely

managed IPS. I have one customer with Astaro, who

says good things about

their product.

 >> Many of my clients are too small to afford the more

expensive IDS

offerings.

And, the perception can be (correct or not is

irrelevant) that SNORT

simply

shifts the up-front costs to the management phase.

I guess, if you

feel

this is incorrect, I'd be interested in your

 thoughts on this, too.

Snort is resource intensive. It's a good IDS/IPS

that requires a lot of

expertise and management to make it work

effectively. Most small to

medium businesses lack such resources, as you have

discovered. As such,

lower cost commercial IPSs like SecureWorks or

Fortinet (both

Snort-based IPSes), give those customers the value

of Snort as a

technology without requiring a lot of personnel

resources.

_____________________________________

Andrew Plato, CISSP
President / Principal Consultant
ANITIAN ENTERPRISE SECURITY

Your Expert Partner for Security & Networking

3800 SW Cedar Hills Blvd, Suite 280

Beaverton, OR 97005
503-644-5656 Office
503-214-8069 Fax

503-201-0821 Mobile
www.anitian.com
_____________________________________

PGP/GPG public key available at:

http://www.anitian.com/corp/keys.htm

NOTICE:

This email may contain confidential information,
and is for the sole use of the intended recipient.

If you are not the intended recipient, please reply
to the message and inform the sender of the error
and delete the email and any attachments from

your computer.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it

with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708

to learn more.

In my opinion the Symantec 7100 series is actually a

pretty nice
IDS/IPS. I have pretty extensive experience with it
and other IDSs and
have found very little that I ask of it that it cannot
do. I am not sure
that I would call SNOT (Symantec Network Observation

Technology)
formerly known as ManHunt a low cost IDS. At one point
the cost of the
software version of it to observe a 1gb pipe in
passive mode (IDS, not
IPS) was $125k MSRP and did not include the E240 that

they recommended
for it. It is actually very well suited for monitoring
multiple segments
and boxes from a central location as it does its own
correlation and
aggregation independently of SSMS (Symantec's SESA

nightmare). The
nicest part of it being that the vast majority of new
exploits/worms/etc
breach RFC standards in some way, shape or form, or
you are not always
chasing down new signatures. Things such as code red,

nimda, slammer,
and others were seen out of the box as shipped without
racing to get a
signature plugged into it. If need be you can right
your own signatures
for it and pick/choose which appliances and interfaces

you want the
policies to apply to, I would not call this a SOHO
IDS/IPS though. It is
well suited for extremely large networks, just not
tier 1 ISPs, but then
again, most tier 1 ISPs are not attempting to do any

real IDS/IPS for
their millions of botnet subscribers.
disclaimer - I am not a Symborg employee or customer

-dogten, CĀ²ISSP
Fight the power and the power will fight back
Your only as good as the system you hack

If you become a problem you will be replaced
Banned, shut down, erased !