IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback

From: "Aaron" <snort () microchp org>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:15:36 -0700

To add to (or take away) from this thread, I would further mention that IDS/IPS regardless of make or implimentation, will only see the past, not the future. I personally do not care what people use to detect, even though I have been able to get snort to match performance of commercial products. Some exploits are too late to stop by the time your devices see them.

My focus has always been instead to see into the future, such as running continuous network and host based audits and staying on top of the latest 0 day exploits, latest patches and so on. It is not fullproof, but reduces the probability that a malicious packet will do its job. :)

I only consider IDS/IPS to be documenting devices so that I may later have evidence, in the rare and highly improbable circumstance that someone is actually caught. The people we should be concerned with will not show up in an IDS however.

--Aarön

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:54:49 -0700