IDS mailing list archives

Re: Current IDS problems

From: Terry Vernon <tvernon24 () comcast net>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 04:12:30 -0500

False positives is one, the algorythms used to scan traffic is another, un-flexibility is another big one.

Most of these problems are easily solved except for when you make a commercial product you have to "dumb it down" so the end users can handle it. I'm designing an IPS for a large customer whom we all know and you would figure these people should know it all. I have to put miles of if statements in the code with accompanying error messages to describe why you cant do this or that. When we can open up the throttle and not worry about the end user we can have some awesome stuff on the market. Take "vi" the text editor for example. To a newb it's terrible but to someone who's used to it it's a necessity. Most of the truly useful features in these products wind up on the cutting room floor because the decision makers don't want to do it for money or time constraints. To tell you the truth your better stuff is coming from smaller companies and not symantec, cisco, etc... Anyone who begs to differ works for one of the said companies. The executives keep tight leashes on the development departments.

Terry Vernon
CTO/Senior Developer
Sprite Technologies

crazy frog crazy frog wrote:

false positives.allthough we need to fine tune it to reduce this stuff.