IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS and Spywares

From: Matt Jonkman <matt () infotex com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:08:24 -0500

I strongly disagree that IDS is not effective with spyware. I grant that
hids is a good thing. But maybe I'm from the old school of thought, that
you can't trust any system to police itself. That system is corruptable,
and thus needs outside oversight. Security 101.

That is exemplified by the number of worms that kill AV on their
victims, or alter hosts files so they can't get new dats, etc. The
victim sits there warm and fuzzy because they paid the 40 dollar
Symantec tax, and they're blasting spam to the world, none the wiser.
The code to do these things is easil available, and surely will be used
by spyware once they feel a hit to their pocketbook. If there's money to
be made they'll do it.

Network based detection and BLOCKING is the most effective way I've seen
to find and deal with spyware in a large network environment. But it's
one tool in the toolbox. Once you detect with IDS you have to clean with
spybot, adaware, etc. It's critical that both tools stay effective.

The BEST way I've seen to deal with spyware IMHO is:  (Note: I'm biased,
I wrote many of these sigs and run the project that distributes them.
Look at them yourself and make your own judgement)

Bleedingsnort.com:
1. Run the DNS Blackhole project maintained by David Glosser. This is
your first line of defense. If you don't give dns lookups for spyware
then you knock out about 80% of the infections and cripple existing
installs.

2. Run the Bleeding Snort Malware signatures. These will catch the vast
majority of known and unknown spyware. Granted, these do require
frequent addition of nes stuff, but there are a few anomaly and behavior
based sigs that we catch most every new package that gets any reasonable
distribution. This is layer 2, detection.

3. Participate in the Spyware listening Post. This is layer 3, future
detection. This is where folks using the dns blackhole above send the
hits that might normaly go to spyware firms to our listening servers. We
analyze the urls and binaries requested, and write new snort signatures
and follow the trails to find new domains. This makes the process a
feedback loop that continues to adjust and improve.

Check out http://www.bleedingsnort.com for more info on there, and a
number of other very interesting tools.

I've spoken a few times this summer pitching the process above, and I've
gotten back a large number of success stories. And the best part is all
of these tools are free. If you can contribute back time or information
you discover all the better, but they're here for the long term, and are
very effective.

Matt