IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS and Spywares

From: "Tim Holman" <tim_holman () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:06:23 +0100

DISCLAIMER - I work for an IPS vendor...  ;)

Hi guys,

It's not very efficient to use an application signature to scan network traffic for spyware. There is also the risk of false positives - ie the signature will trip with regards to good traffic, and block it. By far the best, and most fundamental way to block spyware with a network based solution is to use a firewall policy to block access to Spyware servers, so that a) clients can't download Spyware from these sites, and b) already infected clients can't phone home and send back information Any Spyware that doesn't fit this bill (ie uses a large pool of server IP addresses - eg something like SkyPe) would need a signature for detection, but only use signatures when your basic form of protection at lower layers cannot do the job. TopLayer's IPS 5500, for example, maintains an up to date list of IP addresses of the most common Spyware servers. Use this with the built in firewall policy, and you've solved 99% of the problem that Spyware causes on a network connection. There's absolutely no point chewing up valuable content-checking resources (even if you have the fastest ASIC/FPGA on the market!), if you can solve the problem at a lower level. This is a problem all IDS based IPS vendors face, as they only properly deal with malicious content, rather than addressing IPS from a practical network level that encompasses firewalling, rate-based checks, and content-checks to do the job in the fastest, most efficient way possible.

Regards,

Tim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay Archibald" <jay.archibald () comcast net>