IDS mailing list archives

New to Snort !!!

From: Venkatesh G S <venkatesh.gs () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:14:30 +0530

Hi all,

      I am a new member to this group & i am sure i will get your
valuable suggestion for my problem.
     I work for an organization where we have almost all the latest
devices in place, which includes L3 Switches, VOIP,High end server &
etc. We have around 1500 desktops & this is a production environment.

My problem

i) My network manager wants me to suggest an IDS, and i googled
yesterday i recommened him - Snort.
ii) I am quite new to IDS and i haven't done even a single
installation of Snort till now.

Can anyone let me know the features of Snort, where this sensor should
be placed in the Network?. Plz dont think that i am not doing my
homework.i have already started to collect information from Snort.org
but i find it a little to difficult to undersatnd the concept.

I need help in how to install Snort?. Finally are there any windows
edition of Snort avaliable.

Regards

Venkatesh

--
The impossible is often untried.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.