IDS mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability vs. Exploit signatures and IPS??

From: Jordan Wiens <numatrix () ufl edu>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:04:52 -0400 (EDT)

Most vendors claim that.  Some do it.

Let's consider the following hypothetical situation. A vulnerability is announced in a product, but it's a particularly convoluted and difficult buffer overflow and I don't quite know how it works. I just wait a bit, and sure enough; the Metasploit guys add an exploit for it. Now I run that exploit against a vulnerable server and I sniff the network traffic it generates. I write a signature based on that traffic that seems to be 'good' in that it doesn't have any other false positives on a large flood of legitimate traffic to the server, and it also successfully catches the compromise via metasploit every time.

It's quite possible that because I didn't understand which part of the attack was the actual necessary exploit and which was just metasploit's padding for the overflow, or the backdoor code, or whatever, that someone else could come along and write an entirely new exploit that would not trigger my signature, or even just modify the default metasploit attack, and likewise escape my signature.

A signature written for the vulnerability means that (baring certain types of obfuscation and evasion) any exploit generated will trigger that signature if it triggers the vulnerability.

This is actually a fairly difficult thing to do in some situations. Most signature writers will of course try to write to the vulnerability, but because of the difficulty, you often see ones written for an exploit.

Of course, in the perfect world, we have both types of signatures. That way you not only know you were attacked, but you know with what type of exploit; or that it's a new unknown variant of an exploit. That's useful information in and of itself.

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer