IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort & email

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: 08 May 2005 10:46:25 +1200

"Dan S Baxter" <Dan.Baxter () ipaper com> writes:

I'm setting up a Snort sensor in our environment and I am unable to
determine how I might get emailed on alerts.  I understand some are using
Swatch, but we are not logging to syslogs but rather to a mysql db.  What
are others doing in this case?

I'm logging to /var/log/snort/alert and /portscan.log as well as
postgresql. Then I have a couple of perl scripts which do
post-processing, including paging me if necessary. You could easily do
the same with email, depending on how often you want to be
emailed. There are also packages such as 'snort-stat' which can give
you a summary of events, etc.

In this environment, snort generates way too many alerts to email/page
me on each one. Typically I'd only be using paging for attempted-admin
and successful-admin type alerts.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer
This post does not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.