IDS mailing list archives

IDS signatures order

From: "Sergey V Soldatov" <SVSoldatov () tnk ru>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:49:28 +0300

Hi list!
I'd like to share my correspondence about how RealSecure Network sensor, an
IDS from ISS, (RNE in further discussion) triggers events if more then one
signature were found in packet or session. I've got to know that "the most
important" event will be seen in console and I think that in general it
isn't correct for IDS, because knowledge about priority in which events are
triggered can give an attacker the opportunity to evade IDS and hide the
real invasion. May be I don't understand something, please, correct me if
I'm wrong.
May be it's not so in RNE, and all signatures a checked...

ANY feedback will be appreciated. Also it's interesting how signature
processing is organized in other IDSs/IPSs. Do all signatures have to be
checked or it's possible to check them is special priority??

Thanks.
---
Best regards, Sergey V. Soldatov.
Information security department.